top of page
  • Writer's pictureSPCA

Common Household Poisons

Updated: May 2, 2020

Poisoning is an extremely common cause of death of animals in Fiji. While many people are aware of the dangers of poisoning from substances such as Paraquat and Rat Poison, not many people are aware of the items in your house which can make your animal very sick also. Dogs are generally more susceptible to poisoning than cats but it is important to remain cautious for all pets.

Onions and Garlic

While these may be every day ingredients for dinner for many of use, onion and garlic can have severe effects on our pets. It causes anaemia which may require a blood transfusion if severe.


Grapes can cause sudden and severe kidney failure in cats and dogs. Remember, sultanas and raisins are just as poisonous!


Chocolate poisoning is common in dogs due to them enjoying the sweet taste but can have serious consequences such as vomiting, muscle tremors and even seizures. Darker chocolate is more dangerous and smaller amounts can be more serious.

Drugs and Alcohol

Common drugs you may stock such as aspirin and paracetamol can be dangerous in dogs and cats, causing stomach ulcers and kidney failure.

Alcohol causes a drop in blood pressure and temperature and can result in seizures and death.


These beautiful flowers are extremely toxic to cats. If you are a cat owner is recommended that you do not have Lillies in your house as the pollen, leaves and stems are all extremely toxic to cats causing kidney failure and death.

If you suspect that your animal has been poisoned or eaten one of these substances mentioned please contact your vet as soon as possible. If your animal sees the vet immediately we can administer life saving treatment, sometimes before any poison has even been absorbed. Remember, time is of the essence!

830 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page